Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Project #2 – Back In The Day

Project #2
Back in the Day
Do Something He Enjoyed Before You Got Married

“Lust is easy.  Love is hard.  Like is most important.”  ~ Carl Reiner


I love this quote. I once heard a husband who had been married to his wife for over 50 years say, “It’s great if you love your spouse, but love can fluctuate throughout time. To make a marriage last, you have to like the person.” Do you like your husband?

Your Project:

Initiate an activity that your partner used to love. Whether it’s his favorite hobby, sport, or pastime, it’s time for you to get involved – be his buddy today.

Getting Creative
  • Many a man’s hobby has gone by the wayside due to matrimony. Is it possible that it’s time you learned to golf or fly fish? Don’t try to beat him, just join him.
  • Possibly the only thing your husband would enjoy more than playing chess with you is teaching you how to play chess.  Ask for a lesson so he can teach you something that he is an expert at (or really loves). Just your willingness to learn will be a huge boost to your guy.
  • Pick up a magazine about your guy’s now dormant hobby. Ask him questions about why he loves it so much. Learn a couple of technical terms so that you are better able to discuss it.
  • Do a little research. Find out what the definitive website is on your husband’s favorite subject. Maybe there’s an event in town, a lecture to attend, or a game to watch.

How it went…

I am all for my husband hanging with his guy friends. Yes, we’re still newlyweds and don’t have kids, but I think it’s good for each of us to spend time with our friends and by ourselves to keep ourselves balanced. I can’t wait to see how we can balance that as time goes on.

Some of his hobbies have gone dormant, but a new one has evolved. Brewing! Yup, my honey has started brewing his own beer – a very ‘guy’ hobby. It’s something he can enjoy with his friends and I got involved!


See all those pretty caps? I put them on! Yay! It just so happened to be time to move the brew into the bottles to carbonate and I helped my husband by capping each of the 48 beer bottles! It was fun!
My husband enjoys doing things together, and working on his hobby as a couple made our time together that much more enjoyable. I’d like to think he enjoyed it more than just another set of hands to help out. ;)


What did you do?

After you complete this project, come back and post your name and your results for Project #2 below, every time you post your results to a project you're entered to win a copy of The Husband Project! For additional entries, post your results after each project. (i.e. you can enter to win up to 5 times by posting your results on every project) At the end of the project I will pick a winner at random Sunday 9/25 evening.


And don't forget to post what you did on Project #1!

3 comments:

  1. It is funny that you bring this up Diane, we just had a discussion Saturday regarding this. We recently moved and are now having to do yardwork. The yard isn't big, however spending the time doing it together on Saturday mornings the past few weeks has been very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to lie, the first pastime/hobby/sport that came to mind was sex! Lol, ah how things change over the years! But seriously, another favorite is video games. My husband has been a gamer forever but with a sizzling hot relationship to maintain and busy nights out on the town- or, more realistically, a tough full-time job and mobile 11-month old daughter- his time to just sit and lose himself in a virtual game world is scarce. So when he texted me early yesterday afternoon to see what I wanted to do, I suggested grabbing some hot fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts (a nearby store was having a grand opening) and coming back home to play some video games. His response was "why are you being so nice to me?" which both delighted and alarmed me...was I really that bad? Luckily his next text was "I mean you're being EXTRA nice"...nice save hubby! Anyhow, when he came home we got our sweet treats, did our nighttime routine with our daughter and then retired to the room to play some online games that we both enjoyed and really hadn't played in a long time. I appreciated that he chose a game that I liked to play and I think he was just happy to have some light-hearted time together at the end of the day :)
    P.S. Diane, beer brewing as a hobby just sounds awesome! Hopefully we can a) taste the fruits of your labor some time and b) try brewing beer for ourselves eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, sometimes just being together on a project, even if it's just yard work, can be a great bonding experience! Sounds like he could use a reward when the yard is done! ;)

    Treating the hubbs to video games and other *fun* sounds like a big win Carisa! Hopefully he doesn't think you're up to something no good with all this niceness ;) I think it's a perfect time for both of you to get great bonding and treats like this being 'new' parents!

    ReplyDelete